My friend just came from New York and told me that she had a present for me, so I invited her and her mom over for dinner. I ask her if there is anything special they want for dinner and she says "something good and healthy" .. To be honest, I don't speak healthy. When I think of healthy, I think of sallad and water, anyone else like that? So, with my vivid imagination, I decided to make them sallad for dinner, sounds boring right?
The sallad was actually a big success. I had just learned how to do a dressing/marinade that is so versatile and you will make and use over and over again. Extremely simple to make and if you have leftovers of the dressing you can put it in a sealed container and keep in the fridge for about 1-2 months.
- Whatever you want in your sallad, I used:
- Sallad mix (rocket sallad, spinach and about 2 tbsp parsley for example)
- 1 Red and 1 Green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- Avocado, diced
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 lime
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Few slices of sour dough bread
Dressing/marinade one portion (I made two portions, one to marinade the chicken and one to use as dressing on the sallad.):
- 1 chili, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together in a big bowl and then mix in a food processor OR crush using a morter and pestle. Add the chicken to the bowl and let the chicken marinade for about 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinading, prepare all the vegetables for the sallad, chop the onion, rinse the sallad and so forth. Also, prepare for the garlic bread and preheat the oven to 200° on grill.
- Garlic bread: In a bowl, mix together the pressed garlic and olive oil and brush on top of the bread slices . Top with a little parsley. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- While the garlic bread is in the oven, heat a pan to medium-high heat and cook the chicken until you get golden brown colour on all the sides. If you have some leftover, sprinkle a little fresh parsley and squeeze juice of half a lime over the chicken and serve immediately.